Our fresh frozen wild bilberries are hand picked each summer in the wild lands of Northern Europe. Wild bilberries have been a staple food in the European diet for centuries. They are consumed both because of their delicious flavor and their excellent health benefits. Bilberries are considered both a natural medicine and a delicious treat to eat raw or for baking. They make excellent jams, syrups, pies, smoothies, etc. Bilberries are closely related to the American wild blueberry and wild huckleberry. The scientific name is Vaccinium myrtillus. They are extremely rich in antioxidants and have been shown beneficial in preventing many long term illnesses such as heart disease, cancer and macular degeneration. A key compound in bilberries is their anthocyanins, which help build strong blood vessels and can help reduce blood clots. Whether you are eating bilberries for their amazing flavor or their wonderful health benefits, we know you will enjoy these berries.
- Bilberries have been considered a natural medicine in Europe for thousands of years and are used to treat dysentery. The tannins present in the fruit help reduce intestinal inflammation.
- Bilberries are often used in Europe to help control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
- The antioxidants found in bilberries are thought to help maintain good eye sight.
- Smoothies, on granola or oatmeal, with yogurt, in pancakes, jam, jelly, muffins
- Raw fresh frozen wild bilberries- Product of Finland or Sweden