Try our new Fresh Frozen Wild Leeks!
Wild leeks, Allium tricoccum, or ‘ramps’ are a flavorful variety of wild onion that is native to Northeastern America. Our Leeks have an intensely wild essence which adds ‘zing’ to any dish. Leeks have a distinct, complex taste and delicious undertones which could be described as peppery with a hint of spice.
Our Fresh Frozen Wild Leeks are carefully foraged and hand harvested. These tasty morsels are then flash frozen to lock in the full nutritional value, aroma and flavor. Wild Leeks are a member of the allium plant group, which is the same vegetable family as onions and garlic. Not only are they the backbone to many amazing dishes, but their health benefits are great and numerous as well. With an exceptional combination of flavonoid antioxidants and sulfur containing nutrients, eating Wild Leeks is a brilliant way to help promote and maintain a happier, healthier you. Shipped frozen straight to your door! Enjoy!
- Wild Leeks are an excellent source of Vitamin A, which is essential for healthy teeth, bones and skin.
- Leeks are a great source of Vitamin C which is essential to the growth and repair mechanisms of numerous tissues. This includes skin, connective tissue, teeth, bones and blood vessels. It has strong antioxidant properties which means that it seeks out and neutralizes free radicals, the particles that attack healthy cells and, in unchecked amounts, can bring about premature aging.
- Leeks are an notable source of chromium. This is an essential mineral important to the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and insulin. Another known function of chromium is to help brain function by synthesizing fatty acids and cholesterol.
- Wild leeks contain kaempferol. This works to protect the lining of the blood vessels against damage while supporting the liver in elimination of cholesterol.
- Leeks contain iron which transports oxygen to the cells, supports healthy immune function and increases energy levels.